Wood rot is one of those problems that are often not on a homeowner’s radar until it’s too late.
It happens when moisture accumulates in the wood (especially of your window frames or doors) and fungi start to cause decay. Bugs can also contribute to wood rot, making the issue more troublesome.
The longer the wood rot sits without being addressed, the worse the wood decay will become. On the extreme end, wood rot can cause structural instabilities that lead to collapses. That’s something you want to avoid at all costs so you need to stay alert.
When do you need to contact a professional about wood rot repair? In general, you should call as soon as you notice a problem such as:
- If you see peeling and chipping paint or bubbling paint
- If you see crumbling wood, especially near window sills and window frames
- If you see carpenter ants or termites start to appear in your home
- If a spot of discoloration appears and is soft to the touch
- If you see excess condensation or condensation between window panes
- If water is leaking from your gutters onto your house, or worse, into the house
All of these can be signs of wood rot developing so you’ll want to address it as soon as possible.
If you own a building in Overland Park, Lenexa, Leawood, Olathe, Shawnee, Stilwell, De Soto, Kansas City, or the surrounding areas and think you need wood rot repair, call a local professional to deal with it quickly. The longer you wait, the greater chance there is that the problem will become significant (and more time-consuming and expensive to fix).
Citywide Painting and Remodeling is a contracting company that specializes in commercial and residential renovation including painting services, siding services, window services, remodeling services, and more.